Please join the Moral Injury Project of Syracuse University and Le Moyne College for a two-day event:
“Healing Moral Injury,” April 7-8th at Le Moyne College, Syracuse, NY
On April 7th, the evening will open with a reception in Grewen Hall at 5:00 p.m. and a screening of Almost Sunrise, a documentary film about moral injury, in Grewen Auditorium at 6:00 p.m.. After the film, a talk back session will be held with the Director Michael Collins and Tom Voss, one of the veterans featured in the film. The talk back will be followed by a “tracings” exercise led by Jen Reddy, Veterans Services Coordinator at Le Moyne College.
For more on the film, see http://sunrisedocumentary.com/
On April 8th, at 9:30 a.m. in the Science Center Addition, Room 100, a panel led by Pamela Johnson, PhD, LCSW, will address approaches to healing Moral Injury. Panel event participants include:
- Bryan Asher, LMSW, a veteran and social worker from the BVAC/BHOC in Syracuse, NY;
- George L. Charpied, MS, SLP-CCC, a Speech Pathologist working out of the VHA Canandaigua;
- Ryan Woodruff, Peer Support Specialist/Trainer and Kathleen Hannon, Program Director, both from the Dogs2Vets program at Clear Path for Veterans in Chittenango, NY;
- Tracey Musarra Marchese, MSW, LCSW-R, a Professor of Practice at the Syracuse University School of Social Work, a psychotherapist in private practice, an EMDRIA-Approved Trainer/Consultant in EMDR, and the EMDRIA CNY Regional Coordinator.
After lunch, concurrent workshops on writing and healing, storytelling, community organizing and yoga will be offered. More information on the workshops and workshop leaders will be available shortly.
Event location: All events will be held on the Le Moyne College campus, which is located at 1419 Salt Springs Road, Syracuse, NY. For directions and lodging options near Le Moyne, see http://www.lemoyne.edu/Visit/Getting-Here
A campus map is also available at: http://www.lemoyne.edu/Visit/Campus-Map
This event is free of charge and open to the public; free parking will be available in Lots A and AA at Le Moyne College.
Registration for the event is required (click to register)
Full link (copy and paste into browser): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScRzyiuJqxsP_Y12Im17bwmpbYiIoPYPSJWnb3EtMvUpRxvXA/viewform?c=0&w=1
This event is co-sponsored by:
- The Moral Injury Project
- Le Moyne College
- The Institute for Veterans and Military Family Members of Syracuse University
- The Veterans Resource Center of University College of Syracuse University
Event schedule (subject to modification)
5:00-6:00 p.m. Opening reception, registration, Grewen Hall
6:00-6:15 p.m. Opening remarks in Grewen Auditorium
6:15-8:05 p.m. Screening of Almost Sunrise, Grewen Auditorium
8:05-9:00 p.m. Talk-back and tracings exercise, Grewen Auditorium
9:00-9:30: Coffee and tea, registration
9:30-9:45: Opening Remarks
9:45-11:15: Panel on Addressing Moral Injury: Treatments and Healing (facilitated by Dr. Pamela Johnson, LCSW), Science Center Addition, Room 100
11:30-12:15: Break-out groups
1:00-2:00: Concurrent workshops: Writing and Healing (Syracuse Veterans’ Writing Group); Storytelling (Matt Lewis), rooms to be announced
2:15-3:15: Concurrent Workshops: Community Organizing (Alex McCoy); Yoga (Andrew Miller), rooms to be announced